Tuesday 1 December 2009

The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary: and she conceived of the Holy Spirit

And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. . . . The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. – [Luke 1:26-35]

How must Our Lady have felt, being told that she was to carry the God whom she had worshipped from childhood, in her womb, give birth to Him, comfort and care for Him, and doubtless at times she had to be a little bit strict. Also, Mary was well versed in sacred scripture and therefore would have known or at least have had some idea of the sufferings to come, for both her and her unborn Son. What overwhelming, beautiful feelings.

I think, during Advent and the coming Christmas season is a good time to review how I prepare to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion. Should this not be an overwhelmingly beautiful experience? To carry my very God in my own body? Yet, so often I just go and line up in the aisle because its ‘Communion time’, often with my mind on other things.

I read this passage [Luke 1] as the moment when Mary received her calling from God, I wish we knew more about her earlier life, and her response to this call is instantaneous – she conceived. I believe my own call from God came a couple of years ago and I did nothing; I’ve only just started now. Mary’s call is very direct though, so there would have been little if any discernment to be done. A while ago I couldn’t hear God at all, I prayed and prayed for Him to talk to me, it was difficult trying to hold a conversation when I didn’t get any replies.

That which God commands seems difficult and a burden. The way is rough; you draw back; you have no desire to follow it. Yet do so and you will attain glory. - Saint Anthony Mary Zaccaria

3 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

At he time when Mary was around it would have been a great scandal for her and her family for an un-married woman to become pregnant. People viewed un-married mothers differently than they do now.

To then claim that the unborn child is the Son of God would have been blasphemy at the very least. She most probably risked death by stoning or considered as being mad.

Yet, despite all this, despite the risk of shame on her and her family, the risk of being attacked and possibly killed, she said: YES to God.

She trusted Him and said YES.

God may well be speaking to you Nick. He may well be asking you to follow a vocation in His service.

If He does, I pray that you too will say: YES.

God bless you. I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.